What is Radon?

Radon is a colorless, odorless and tasteless radioactive gas the can seep into homes from the earth. When inhaled, its radioactive particles can damage the cell that line the lines. Long-term exposure to radon can lead to lung cancer. It's estimated that every year over 21,000 lung cancer deaths are caused by radon. 

It does not matter if your home is old or new, the only way to know how much radon gas has entered the home is to conduct a radon test. MDH estimates 2 in 5 homes built before 2010 and 1 in 5 homes built since 2010 exceed the 4.0 pCi/L action level. By EPA Standards a safe level is 4.0 pCi/L, anything over 4 is recommended to have a mitigation system.

Radon Facts:

How dangerous is radon?

Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer in non-smokers and the second leading cause of lung cancer overall, next to tobacco smoking. 

Where is your greatest exposure to radon?

Radon is present everywhere and there  is no known safe level. Your greatest exposure is where it can concentrate indoors and where you spend most of your time. Whether a home is old or new, well-sealed or drafty, with or without a basement, any home can have high levels of radon.

Where does radon come from?

Radon comes from the soil. It is produced by the natural decay of uranium and radium commonly found in nearly all soils in Minnesota. As a gas, radon moves freely through the soil and eventually into the air we breathe. Our homes tend to draw sold gases, including radon, into the structure. 

Windsor home uses a continuous radon monitor to test indoor radon levels. The monitor collects data every hour, over a 48 hour period, charts it on a graph and results are delivered with the inspection report. There is a minimum 48 hour testing period to obtain accurate average readings. Well worth the $150 investment for peace of mind. 

Learn More

Check out the MN Department of Heath website for more information about radon and it's health affects.